Thursday, December 11, 2008

Where the sushi at?

My favorite food is by far Japanese food and I am always going out to eat sushi and what not with friends and family, so I have tried quite a lot of restaurants in the area. Here are what I think of the main ones that I go to:

For sushi:
Sakana Bune
5701 Geary Blvd(between 21st Ave & 22nd Ave)San Francisco, CA 94121
(415) 387-8561

If you want to go to a sushi boat restaurant totally hit up this place in the outer Richmond district of San Francisco. The price range is alright and I think the sushi is pretty good. They also have good udon and Unagi (barbecue eel) bowl. My favorite roll to get is the Sakana house tempura roll, which has crab meat and unagi rolled in rice and seaweed a, deep fried and drizzled with teriyaki sauce. DELICIOUS!

For noodles:
Hotei Restaurant
1290 9th Avenue(between Irving St & Lincoln Way)San Francisco, CA 94122
(415) 753-6045
http://www.yelp.com/redir?url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.hoteisf.com&src_bizid=ahbIrrZSm2gC1DP6nQ2Dew

This Japanese restaurant specializes in Japanese noodle dishes. I must say that their udon and soba are quite excellent and delicious. The atmosphere inside is very pretty and the presentation of the dishes are nice as well. I would definitely recommend the Tsukimi Udon and the Tempura Soba.

For bento box or entrée dishes:
Traval Okazu Ya
1735 Taraval Street(between 27th Ave & 28th Ave)San Francisco, CA 94116
(415) 759-6850

There are a few Okazu Ya restaurants in the sunset, but I like this one best because they have a large variety of items to choose from and the service is great. Though the place looks small, there is actually a lot of seating because there is a whole room in the back. I like getting one of the pre set dinner combo bento boxes, like one that comes with tuna sashimi, chicken teriyaki, and tempura with rice, miso soup, and tsunemono.

For sushi and bento box:
Sushi Boat
389 Geary St(between Mason St & Powell St)San Francisco, CA 94102
(415) 781-5111

I always eat lunch here with my mom whenever we’re downtown because it is convenient and the food is pretty good. This is also another sushi boat establishment (hence the name) and you can just pick what you want right off the boats as they float by. We usually always get a two item combo bento box to share and just grab a few plates of sushi for lunch and we’re full.

** I think sushi boat restaurants are my favorite because if you don’t know what you want, you can just wait for something to catch your eye and grab it and enjoy. So if you have never been to a sushi boat type of Japanese restaurants then definitely try one out and I’m sure you’ll love it. Like I took my cousins from Seattle and Los Angeles to one on Clement Street and they loved it because they didn’t have these back home.

There is also a yummy sushi buffet place in Davis, CA:
Fuji Sushi Boat and Buffet
213 G St Davis, CA 95616
(530) 753-3888

Every year I go drive up with friends to have a delicious sushi buffet lunch with friends and then go visit people in Davis. This restaurant is great for the amount of food that you eat for the price you pay. You only pay like $15 per person after tax and tip for as much sushi, sashimi, tempura, soft shell crab, and a few other items that you can eat.

So i hope these restaurant recommendations are helpful if you are ever at a loss for finding a Japanese restaurant to eat at. You can also feel free to look up these places on http://www.yelp.com/ to see what other people think.

No comments: