Wednesday, December 10, 2008

Juban: A Restaurant Review


Scenario: Group of eleven. 9 o'clock on a Saturday night. Hungry at Japantown.
After much indecisiveness, someone finally suggested Juban after discovering that his friend was working there at that time (which means free drinks and whatnot). After entering the restaurant, we were separated into two tables, which, to be honest, made me feel like we were eating as two separate groups. The tables had grills on them, which are meant for cooking your own food. As much as I love eating, I do not enjoy cooking at all, so I ordered a bowl of onmen (hot noodles, spinach, egg and shiitake mushroom in beef broth) while some of the others ordered various raw meats for grilling. Right before the food was served, a waitress came by to light up the grill. My noodles were delicious—the noodles had a great texture and the broth was savory. Two people at my table ordered calamari, which they had fun grilling.

The servers at this establishment were very friendly and polite. No hint of animosity towards their jobs that you can sometimes sense with waiters. I just looked up the restaurant hours and apparently they close at 9:30 p.m., but we stayed past 10:00 without ever feeling rushed.

No comments: