Wednesday, December 10, 2008

Fillmore Karaoke


If you're ever with a group of friends with nothing to do, you should cure your boredom by heading over to a karaoke box to make your friends' ears bleed showcase your singing chops. Although the k-box establishments here in the U.S. pale in comparison to the ones in Asia, you can still have a good time and sing a variety of songs.
For my 20th birthday, I went to Fillmore Karaoke (
1410 Fillmore St). Since a few of my friends don't ever sing in front of people (booooo!), this place was perfect because the large room included a Wii. Unfortunately, this place doesn't take reservations, so it can be difficult to get a room at a time you want (especially the large room because there's only one). Hoping I would be lucky, I told my friends to get there at 4:00 p.m. (happy hour = 50% off!). I called in at 3:30 and was told that the large room was taken and that I should leave my phone number with them so that they could call me when it's available (by the way, I had to speak in Chinese because the girl who answered didn't seem to understand English very well). Fortunately I did not have to wait too long; my phone rang at 4:15 and they told me that my party can go in.

The room was pretty big and fit my group of 13 people comfortably. I was surprised to see the variety of songs and that, for some songs, had the original music video. If you happen to like the cheesy videos that usually accompany karaoke songs, don't worry. There will be plenty of random images (video clips of a quaint little town during "We Will Rock You"....what?) and other strange videos, such as a female Santa Claus attempting to look seductive.

When the lady at the counter asked me how long I think we would stay there for, I told her two hours. But as our song list got longer and longer, we ended up staying for about four hours. The total was $96 (a bit more than $7 per person for four hours...pretty good deal).

No comments: