Thursday, December 11, 2008

mMm Dessert!!!

I would have to say that my top five favorite Chinese desserts are Don Taat (egg custard tart), Nye Wong Boa (bun filled with egg custard paste), Jin Dui (deep fried sesame ball), Hung Dau Tong (red bean soup), and Hun Yun Dau Fu (almond jello).

1. Don Taat is my all time favorite, especially with a flaky crust and if they just came fresh out of the oven and are a little warm. Whenever I go out with family or friends to “yum cha” (which directly translates to drink tea, but means get dim sum), we always get these.

2. Nye Wong Boas are really yummy buns, but only taste good when they are warm or else the filling gets kind of hard. It’s funny because I used to hate them when I was little, but that all changed after my trip to Hong Kong. After one dinner, they served us some of these buns and the filling oozed out because they literally just came out of the oven. They were so delicious that I couldn't believe that I ever disliked them.

3. I love jin duis. The crunchy outside and the chewy gooey inside are just so good. When I eat them I like to lick the red bean paste out and save (what I think is) the best part for last – the crunchy chewy mochi shell.

4. Hoong Dau Tong is served as the dessert at most of the Chinese restaurants that I eat at. It is an acquired taste because there are while read beans in it and chunks of taro root. There also isn’t that much liquid in it and the tapioca with all the other ingredients makes it very thick. When I eat it I like to sift out the red beans and just get the liquid and tapioca pearls.

5. I always enjoy a nice bowl of jello, but Hun Yun Dau Fu had to be one of my top picks. It is a little more fragile, like flan, then regular Jell-O brand jello, and has a distinct taste. It tastes excellent alone, but can also be enhanced by adding a little bit of fruit cocktail to it. I also love the smell of the almond jello, and it is strange but in some bathrooms the pink soap smells the same as this. If you have never had this before I definitely recommend picking up a box of the mix and making a dish of it.

You can most likely try these items at any dim sum restaurant along with many other delicious dishes. I would recommend “S&T Hong Kong Seafood Restaurant” in SF on the corner of 33rd and Noriega in the sunset district. Though it is a little pricier than other places, the food is really really good. (But a little tip for finding the place is that the sign outside only says “Hong Kong Seafood Restaurant”.
http://www.yelp.com/biz/s-and-t-hong-kong-seafood-restaurant-san-francisco

No comments: