Thursday, December 11, 2008

Eths 210: Asian American Culture

Ethnic Studies 210 has got to be by far the best class I have taken in my one and a half years at state. I would definitely recommend this class to other students. In the beginning, I was questioning whether or not I would like this class. I’m not the type of student that likes to put myself out there. I rather be the student hiding in the corner. When I heard that this class was not going to be like any or our typical lecture all day classes I was kind of nervous. I remember thinking to myself, “oh man, this is going to be a long semester.” I also wasn’t to please when we were told we were going to have to form groups for group presentations. I’m not too fond of group work especially if it’s with unfamiliar faces, but because we stayed in the same groups the whole semester we got comfortable with each other and go to know one another and were able to work together as a team. As weeks went by I discovered that this wasn’t going to be so bad after all. In fact it was actually a fun class. This class was actually a great class to start off the morning. Even though class started at 8 in the morning, all the interacting and ice breakers and moving around on our feet and other activities we had to do was a great way to wake us up. I am a student who learns by see and doing and that is exactly what this class did. We learned what Asian American Culture was by going out and experiencing it ourselves. Asian American Culture is all around us we experience every day by the food we eat, the places we go, and even at home. This class also taught me that we should not be afraid to be heard. We should stand up and voice our opinion, like we experienced in our midterm the ’68 strike; we should stand up for what we believe in. Though this class is not our typical math science history classes with seem pointless at times, this class is probably the only class I actually learned something in and what I learned I will remember years from now. I learned important life lessons for this class. I’m really glad I signed up for it. So thank you Irene and class for a wonderful semester. I’m sad that it had to go by so fast. It truly was a fun class. A classroom full of energy and excitement and at times an eagerness to learn; it’s been fun. I will always remember the students united will never be defeated. We started and ended big!.. or was it we started and ended with a bang! (haha I don’t remember)

No comments: