Wednesday, September 17, 2008

Filipino Parents, oh my gulay!

Have any of your parents (or Filipino “family members”) ever talked about you in Tagalog (or any other dialect) right in front of you?! I mean, they’ve been doing it since I can remember. They take some sort of sick pleasure in doing that. When I was little I never knew what they were all talking about so it wasn’t a big deal to me, but now that I do understand Tagalog, they still do it! They talk to all my other “aunties and uncles” about inappropriate things. About me and my boyfriend’s fights they manage to hear about, how I lashed back at them the other week about going out, or just other personal stuff which are pretty embarrassing. I mean, come on! What gets to me the most is about college and my future, and let me stress the word MY! Everyone asks my parents, “Oh what is Gelline taking?” They reply, “Business Administration, but she doesn’t really know what she wants.” And they laugh about it and continue discussing careers they wish I would to pursue. It’s kinda a slap in the face because I know they talk about it in a specific tone I may only recognize as MOCKING, but why in front of me THROUGH other people, and WHY IN TAGALOG? This passive aggression runs through hella generations before me because I observe the same guilt talk from my grandparents toward my parents and so on. I know this may not be just a Filipino thing, but I mean... Filipinos are such emotion, non-aggressive and expressive people (Most although from my experience). Seriously, all I see is them taking the easy way out – not expressing their opinions, keeping it to themselves; whether it has to do with how they feel about one of their family member’s decisions or whatnot. They don’t like to have one-on-one conversations, they criticize passively. I guess the knowledge of voicing out, I learned and practiced as an American... Being STRONGLY OPINIONATED and open to other people’s feelings. That’s why I guess I clash with my parents and a lot of my Filipino friends do also. Does it have to do anything with being the third generation? Honestly, It’s funny how this topic circles all back to the importance of family relationships, closeness, and bonds because despite all the somewhat shit talking... Filipinos are so closely knit - Blood families connected with other non-blood families and establishing a hold as strong as blood. I guess this act of passive aggression is just a quirk because I know in the end, the good outweighs the bad. I know there’s a couple more pet peeves I have about our cultural and Filipino parents in general (like strictness) haha but I’ll save that till next time. <3

No comments: