Thursday, December 4, 2008

Panda Express

Asian or not, Panda Express seems to be the most popular Chinese food place. As we learned from the food unit in our Asian American Culture class, Panda Express is 90% Americanize, maybe that’s why everyone likes it so much. It’s Chinese food with an American twist to it. At Stonestown, Panda Express always seems to have the longest line. But why? Can it be because it’s cheap? because its fast? Or perhaps is it because Panda Express’ food is really that good.

I went to Los Angeles last weekend and my family and I went to each lunch at a Café place in Universal Studios. This café served a variety of food items such as fried chicken, panda express, pizza, hot dogs, and others. As I waited in line, I looked around to see what kind of food people were eating and I saw a lot of people eating Panda Express; majority of which were not Asian. I guess everyone was just in a Chinese food mood that day. After I got my food and sat down, one lady even stopped to ask me where I got my Chinese food. And shortly after we ran and got her whole family and went to go get some.

Another time a friend was telling me how he brought some panda express and gave some to his Mexican friend and that friend fell in loved with it. Better than any imitation Chinese food they have down in Mexico. When his friend came to visit from Mexico, the one place he requested to eat at before he left was Panda Express. The friend tried other Chinese restaurants before, but his favorite is still Panda Express. Again, perhaps its because Panda Express is made to acquire the American taste.

Don’t get me wrong, I don’t have anything against Panda Express food, but at the same time I don’t see what the craze about Panda Express is either. But then again, I guess I can’t really say much because I’m not really a big fan on Chinese food either. I’ll eat it, but it’s not very appetizing to me partly because I eat it too much. But it’s just a question that’s being floating around in my mind, what’s so good about Panda Express?

No comments: